Sunday, January 01, 2006

I Dreamed Last Night....

I dreamed last night that the ancient oak outside my room was an alive being … well, it is, isn’t it? But this was different, it spoke to me, well, trees do that, too, don’t they? This living being invited me into its branches and wrapped itself around me, sheltering me from the showers that passed through, but allowing me to experience, as did John Muir, what it was like to live as a tree. It was an experience I won’t soon forget.

It was from my lofty perch that I scattered the contents of my seed packages, knowing that they would be spread far and wide and would, when they germinate, bring pleasure and magic to all who look upon their colorful blossoms.

I swayed with the branches as gusts of that mischievous being called Wind tore through the air, making its way to destinations unknown. I was not afraid because my Oak cradled me like a baby, keeping me safe.

The breeze touched my face,
and for a moment
I feared that my lofty perch
was not the safest place to be.
I need not have worried, however,
because the leaves caressed my face
and soothed my concern.

The breeze grew into a gale
that huffed and puffed.
The branches that held me swayed,
as if dancing to a Strauss Waltz
while I relaxed and let the music
take me into that magical realm of dance.

The gale passed, and once again
the breeze caressed my face,
and the leaves massaged my willing body.
Then, the oak released me,
and I returned, through the window,
to my room at Riversleigh

and into my bed
where I slept like a baby
until the sunrise awakened me.

Vi

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Just wonderful, Vi. I love the nature lovers, Muir, Emerson, and of course Thoreau. Where would be be without them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home