Sunday, January 01, 2006

Seed Time

I decided that I was too tired to walk to the green house
so I hopped onto the broad back of the Big Boss donkey
and let him take me to the green house
where he was not allowed to go in so I sent him
out to gather all the sow thistle that was blooming in the paddock.

After wandering about in the misty green house, I found a huge
shelf of seed packets so I grabbed the first one I came to
and dashed back out into the fresh air.

As soon as the Boss had taken me to my room I found myself an old blue jar
and found enough fresh soil with suitable fertilizer (readily available near the thistle patch)
I dropped the whole packet of dark brown seeds into my jar
and set them on the veranda.

My bird had been watching
before I had time to settle back into my book I heard a tremendous, "Who? Who? Who?"
and ran to see what the fuss was about.
I couldn't believe my eyes for my seeds had not waited and huge green fronds and stems
were already spreading high above the jar. There was rustling among the leaves
and soft chattering. Looking up I found that to each stem a tiny green elf clung
calling, calling. " Who are you? Who are you? "called bird.
"Who? Who are you? " replied my elves in chorus.
"What am I to do? What am I to do? " I heard my own voice whispering.
"Blow gently, blow gently."
I blew and knew that in each and every room in the mansion
there will be an elf waiting to do what you ask
or to do some tiny elf mischief. Do keep your perfume bottles
well sealed my friends for even the best of the green elf clan
have a thirst for a drop now and then.
Remember to whisper when you
ask for a favour for their ears are delicate.

I thought that having a crowd of talking donkeys was a big job
but now, it appears, I am supposed to co-ordinate the activities
of a spread of gossiping elves. I can assure you, however, that
as all well-trained secretaries I shall not reveal any of your secrets
without your permission but you are certainly advised to keep on the good side
of any elf that decides to attach himself to you.
Signed with some trepidition, The Secretary of the Donkeys Union and Elf Superintendent

4 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Believer said...

Hello Fran,

My, you have your work cut out for you! I haven't met my resident elf yet, perhaps he's hiding, or hasn't come yet. Or maybe he's waiting for me to plant my seeds.
Have no fear--we'll get along well;I don't mind a bit of harmless mischief now and then. Have you heard any news of my dear Geraldine and her sweet young one?
If you do, give her my best. If she is willing to do a little part time work let her know I would love to request her services some time, she may even bring her child.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Dear Believer: Keep your elf busy. Helping with the gardening, perhaps. I shall contact Geraldine and arrange for you to have a chat. The Sec. and the Supe.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Yes, Faucon, imagine the pics we will get to see from Fran!

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

oh dear! The elves clearly have you in their power Fran. Was no challenge for them really. Ah well! You will be busy darling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home