Friday, March 17, 2006

Manhole Covers from the UP Campus, Philippines

These are some of the manhole covers in the University of the Philippines campus. My friend who accompanied me on this manhole cover documentation stint couldn't believe what I'm doing. She can't figure out what's so interesting about manhole covers. LOL!

I see them as doorways to the mysterious underbelly of the city. I wonder what lurks beneath these round heavy caps. I love their worn down texture born from years of wear and tear from footsteps of indifferent passersby.

Some of these aren't that old. The more interesting textures are those of more than a decade old. I'm excited to search the city for older ones. I can't wait to make my manhole cover collages.











I've also taken pictures of the UP Film Center's Exhaust Holes. I thought they were interesting as there were right in the middle of a brick wall with ivy growing above it. Most exhaust holes are intentionally concealed but these seem like a necessary after thought done to address an unforseen ventilation need.

7 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

This is a fascinating study.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

These photographs are just stunning and lead to all sorts of thoughts. If it is okay with you Winnie I may use the exhaust fume image for a Mad Hatter challenge.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Very interesting photographs. I saw the most facinating manhole covers a couple of weeks ago in San Antonio, Texas. They were made of thick glass. But, now, these were on the sidewalks, NOT on the street. Still they were striking to see and walk on being aqua blue.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Welcome Lisa and dive right in and make yourself known. Don't hesitate to show off your stuff and put a link to your blogger.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Hi Lisa, those covers sound great!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger wrr said...

Thanks everyone.

Hey Lisa. I hope to see picts of those glass blocks (I think they're called) soon. They sound really interesting.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great finds. Do you have a facebook page?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home