Friday, March 17, 2006

Handling the inner wheel

I think I mentioned the pleasure I was getting from the discovery of the book, "Elizabeth and her German Garden", a while back. She was a Victorian wife, who wrote, like a journal, of her daily life in very female restrictive times. She rebelled against social restrictions inwardly. Her greatest charm to me is the way she reveals her thoughts and true inner feelings but keeps us interested in the daily occurrences accompanied by her humorous view of them. Now residing in the Manor I have discovered another of her books and as I am not journeying anywhere right now I thought I would share one of the paragraphs showing why I like her so to any other book lover staying here. I also want to preserve this thought to be able to read when I slip into the like same guilt trip.

P156 The Adventures of Elizabeth in RugenElizabeth Von Arnim
In that all-pervading wholeness there is no room for repentance, no place for conscience-stricken beating of the breast; and indeed I think we waste a terrible amount of time repenting. The healthy attitude, the only reasonable one towards a fault made or a sin committed is surly a vigorous shake of ones shoulders, vigorous enough to shake it out of remembrance.
The sin itself was a sad waste of time and happiness, and absolutely no more should be wasted in lugubriously reflecting on it. Shall we, poor human beings at such disadvantage from the first in the flight with fate through the many weaknesses and ailments of our bodies, load our soul as well with an overgrowing burden of regret and penitence? Shall we let a weight of vivid memories break our heart? How are we to get on with our living if we are continually dropping into sloughs of bitter and often un-just reproach? Every morning comes the light, and a fresh chance of doing better. It is not the sheerest folly and ingratitude to let yesterday spoil the God-given to-day?

2 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

The timing of this is just perfect Jane. I have been reproaching myself over a personal matter of recent weeks and have lost all important creative energy in the process. My reproaches change nothing but energy directed elsewhere can change everything. Thank you for posting this excerpt.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I happen to adore Elizabeth von Arnhim, too, and she was also good friends with another one of my favourite writers, E.M. Forster. The film, from another novel, "Enchanted April" is a must for all Riversleigh Residents, where she has the answers to most puzzles about women's roles. She is wonderful and great company to have at Riversleigh. I have her in my collection too;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home