Saturday, December 31, 2005

Pedalling My Way to Riversleigh

Well, I have arrived. I had wondered if I’d make it, but I did, so here I am. Moonbeam, my favorite donkey, was off helping someone else, and the camels had all gone home to the desert. I didn’t know what to do, so after some thought, I got out my old bicycle, cleaned it, and oiled it up. It would be my transportation to Riversleigh Manor.

I was excited as I started off with my pannier bags packed and my handlebar bell polished and tinkling as sweet a tune as I’d heard in a while. It wasn’t long though before my legs, unused as they were to pedaling long distances, began to complain. It helped to alternate; walk awhile, pushing my two wheeled chariot, and then to ride awhile, until my leg muscles screamed and begged for pity. Let me tell you, I took a lot of rest stops along the way.

My first view of Riversleigh Manor delighted me with its old world opulence, a picture postcard that I could walk into and experience for myself. And I was going to stay here for a while. What could be better?

#

I was surprised, when I entered and checked in to learn that a room had been reserved for me, and just as I had requested, it had a bay window and right outside, a venerable old oak tree. My dream had come true in that I could step from my room, through the window and onto a sturdy branch. From there, if I wanted to, I could hide in the foliage, and be alone with my thoughts. I tried it and yes, it was an easy step from the window and into the branches. From there, I could see for miles and watch the comings and goings. For as long as I stayed here, this would be my writing nook. It would be from here that the ideas would spring. Down below, leaning against the trunk was my old bicycle, ready to take me away when I was ready. I don’t know when that would be though, because this was to be my Shangri La.

I unpacked my bags and settled in, and right away my Muse tuned in to my wavelength. This was going to be an eventful soujourne.

Elusive Lover
The breeze touches my face and ruffles my hair.
Like the gentle caress of a lover
she soothes and excites.
I reach for her hand,
but shy, she dances away.
Back again, she touches and teases,
playing games with my heart.

I climb back into my room. It’s time to meet my fellow travelers … it’s time to seek the faraway tree.

Vi

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This is just lovely Vi, and so English to arrive pedalling on a bicycle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home