Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Packet of Mixed Seeds

Go to the green house and plant a seed, I was told. Use it as a symbol of your writing goal this year. Seemed simple enough, but although other years I'd whipped out pages of New Year's resolutions, this year not one goal came to mind. What do you do when there is no end to work towards? Begin, I suppose and see where it leads.

Few seed packets remained, some cactus, which I knew could take years to germinate, and a plain white envelope marked mixed seeds. Curious, I opened it and found dried marigold petals and fine-as-dust seed that I knew to be portulacas. A third unidentified seed completed the mix.

As I found a pot and scooped up handfuls of soil an image flooded back to me of my father standing in the center of our front yard when I was, perhaps, twelve years old.

"You can't plant seeds that way," I told him. "You need to dig a hole and put them in one by one"

"says who?" he asked. "Not, Mother Nature!"

Our yard was split in two by the front steps, with the larger section Dad was working on about ten feet wide and eight feet from the house to the sidewalk. He'd dug up the soil, removed the stones, and raked it. His hands were still blistered from a fence he'd crafted the week before using dowls twisted into holes that he'd drilled into narrow strips of wood. Painted white, twelve inches high at the tallest, the dowls swooped up and down like a suspension bridge and formed a picketless fence for a lillipution garden.

How I loved that fence! To my amazement, day by day, tiny stems pushed up from the soil and crowded into each other, barely discernible leaves appeared and unfurled. Dad carefully watered each evening with the hose on the finest mist, but he refused to heed instructions and thin out the plants. Soon a low layer of green covered our little yard from corner to corner almost like moss until not a speck of dirt could be seen. The plants grew and thrived, clustered together, jostling for space like children in a playground. Buds formed and I held my breath waiting, until one morning our swatch of yard became a dazzling meadow of California poppies, marigolds and portulacas in red, yellow, pink, orange, and white.

That day, as I watched from inside, my friend Woodsy led his little brother up the hill and stopped when he came to my garden. He said something to Barry, then both boys sat down on the low concrete ledge and leaned over my dad's fence. Barry reached in with both hands and with the delicacy of a butterfly fingered leaves and petals and buried his blind face in the blossoms.

What do I expect from these writing seeds that I'm planting at Soul Food?

I expect to honor the memories of the past, to appreciate the joys of the present, to plunge into writing as I anticipate the mysteries of the future.

My past perfectionism has led only to lost opportunities. This year I'll fling words out into the wind and soil, and wait for them to take root and blaze into flaming color. Perhaps the garden I grow will emotionally feed or shelter someone. Or perhaps one who is blind will touch and sniff and finally be able to sense a little of my world's awesome beauty.

4 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Oh Barbara! This is the most exquisite piece of writing. Your memories of your father really touched me today. Friday the 13th of January was my father's birthdate and he was a wonderful gardener. Like your father he never followed rules. I remember standing in his vegetable garden, crying, on the day he died. The garden never lasted long after he was gone and is barren now. Mum never could have kept it going but it still makes me sad to look out there and see it so empty.

As for your seeds. I just know they are going to flourish.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Dear Enchantress,

Ah, if only we weren't separated by oceans and continents we could sit and compare our fathers over a cup of coffee! My dad's greatest love was redesigning our back yard every few years, moving the flower beds and path. So little space to work with but so much imagination.

I couldn't keep up my garden either and know exactly how you feel. Emotions were surging in me as well today and tears are very close to the surface.

Odd coincidence: I met the blind boy, Barry, recently after fifty years and found out he was once married to the head of my disability group. He used to ride a bike. Never figured that one out. His brother, Woodsy, was the first of my childhood friends to die. He was in a motorcycle accident. One of those sweet kids who never quite fit in. I have never forgotten the bittersweet vignette of the sighted brother "showing" our garden to his blind brother.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Bless the weeds and thanks for the fitz. I really needed a gift, today, Faucon, and I appreciate your generosity of words and thoughts. :-)

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Ah oceans may divide us Barbara but technology has made it possible to chat about such things. Dad only grew vegetables for many years, deeming flowers to be a waste. He changed his attitude when he retired and grew flowers as well. Dad loved to give us his vegetables. In my mind's eye I can picture him standing on the doorstep with his basket of home grown goodies for me. What I would give to go to the door to find him there just one more time. But then, I wouldn't be very good at parting again so I will just have to hold him in my mind. I bought some flowers today and will put his photo near them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home