Monday, January 09, 2006

Traveller's seeds

There is a saying in old English weather lore – “Red sky at night shepherd’s delight, red sky in the morning shepherd’s warning.”

This is a perennial plant that grows in warm sunny climes. The flowers appear in late afternoon and are gone by the morrow.



Each flower is a different colour – pink, yellow, red, striped, etc.; they are the colours of the evening sky as the sun fades and they bring the promise of a new day. I know them as “evening flowers” but the label on the seed packet I found in the greenhouse in the gardens of Riversleigh says “Shepherd’s delight”.

3 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

From what I have seen the blooms in the garden house are a real Shepherd's Delight Carol. I love the rich colours here.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

So interesting.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Viridiana said...

it's mid winter here so I can't plant my seeds to see how they will turn out. My seeds came from Cyprus where I was told to plant them in pots in April and then plant them out later. I can't wait now ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home