Sunday, May 07, 2006

a couple of poems

My creative writing class is now doing a poetry unit (I have not written poetry for, oh, maybe 30 years?)... here are a couple of my first attempts:

Passport

Well worn pages,
Grey crease on a blue folded cover,
Embarrassing photo.
Like an ancient roadmap
Expressions of my wanderlust
As solid occurrences in time.
My passport lets me avoid my life.

---*---*---*---*---

Gone

You were sitting in the noisy restaurant
stabbing at noodles in your soup when you tried to tell me;
our conversation wandering aimlessly,
darting over,
under,
and around
what really needed to be said.
“It’s a great opportunity”
“It’s what I really want to do”
You looked into my eyes for confirmation…
But I was already gone.

5 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Phyllisophigal said...

Second poem is terrific. I can imagine the scene. - Also you have an excellent final line. First poem is very good too, nostalgic in tone. My own passport popped into my mind as I read your poem. You could work on the last line perhaps. After an absence of 30 years, your writing seems as if you have been doing it all along. It comes back, doesn't it - like typing or riding a bike.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Lovely poems, Rhonda - I like the second one as well, and I'm glad you are posting here. Nice to hear new voices.

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As i love travelling, I enjoyed your first poem. Have gotten inspired to write one of my own, which I'll post when I'm done.

hope you don't mind?

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Great poems Rhonda. I enjoyed them both immensly. Must dig out my old passport and put it somewhere in amongst my current drawings.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your poems,they appeal to me.Like you I had gone some time ago. My head and my heart are else where! Susan Preston

 

Post a Comment

<< Home