Thursday, April 13, 2006

An Introduction


An Introduction

“Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.” – The Grateful Dead


Yes, indeed, what a journey it has been and now that I have arrived at Riversleigh, I intend to stay for a bit. I understand the waters here have magical, rejuvenating properties. Even though I will rest from my travels, I don’t plan to be idle. I plan to write and create art as often as I can—daily if I can manage it. I used to write prolifically but a series of events, both personal and physical, sapped the creative life out of me. The Muse, ever a severe mistress, would not be silenced and emerged through my visual creations which I’ve been doing for a while now. Only a few days ago, she told me that I'd been too concerned with my worldly travels and that I had to find a place to rest and create—both writing and art-making. She threw me into a rickety boat and pushed me onto the battering seas of cyberspace. She tossed me onto the shores of Lemuria to the very doors of Riversleigh.

If I were to sum up my creative self, I would say that I am a historian by education, an observer of the natural realm by inclination, and a voyager through the world of spirit by compulsion. Whether I write, take photographs, or do digital manipulations and collage work, these themes--history, nature, spirit-- are infused and explored in each of my creative pieces. I strive to transform reality through my words and images. For example, I took this image of jacaranda blossoms above and transformed it into the mandala below.

So, I am very pleased that I have found this resting place, and I hope to get to know the other residents in this fine manor over time-- to see and share in your creative process. But in the mean time, can anyone direct me to the spa? I have an appointment for a facial and a manicure.



L Gloyd (c) April 13, 2006 (Images (c) 2004)

4 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

What absolutely extraordinary imagery Lori. The digital mandala is simply magnificent. You will find yourself in very good company here - observers of the natural world, voyagers through the world of spirit and so many others gather to share this world. Welcome to Riversleigh. I know you are going to find being here renews your creativity, just as it has done so for so many of us.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

Thank you, Heather. It's been a blast the last few days. But the thing is this: I have been home sick most of this week and on vacation the next few days. The real test will be if I can be as creative when I'm back at work and have less time and energy.........

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Now that WILL be the test. Don'texpect too much of yourself. Just focus on what you can manage and don't try to be everywhere here or you could easily get overwhelmed. Initially I suggest that you enjoy the manor. It is manageable.

I am retired now but I ran Soul Food while I worked and stole time all over the place. I am sure you will cope.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,

Welcome and I'm glad to have you with us at Riversleigh. I love what you did with the blossoms. Very creative.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home