Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Triduum - afterthought 3

Garden Press

"John -- John, are you still awake? I am beginning to nod off. Maybe we should take turns. One of us should be awake for when he returns. I know he is troubled. Strange that he wishes to be alone. But then the entire evening has been strange. John! Talk to me. I know you didn't drink that much wine."


"Oh be still my friend, I am yet awake -- just pondering his words -- trying to understand why he is grieving."

"I did not know. I sensed the gravity of his spirit. What did he say to you back by the Kidron Brook? I wish we had stayed there in the cool shade instead of in this olive pit."

“'I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and keep watch.' Those were his last whispered words. Remember at supper he claimed that we would offended by him. The night is warm and the stones are hard, but I am not offended. What are we to watch for?"

"There are more soldiers out about this night because of the Passover rituals. Perhaps they fear revolt or sedition. Our brother there near the cave brings only peace and wonder -- yet the crowd did try to crown him king last week. It is best that we drew off to this desolate spot. When Simon suggested the olive pressing place I think he meant the garden paths down below, but Jeshua guided us here -- said it must be here."

"A merchant told me that last year the Governor tried to head off any trouble by playing a game. As always he was going to release a prisoner to the crowd in order to show us Roman mercy. At least he respects that part of our law. But then they also selected a simple traveler from those gathered up the night before -- those with no lodging and perhaps a little drunk. They should talk! At that early hour both old Herod and Pilot are probably nursing hangovers -- I wouldn't wager on some of the priests either."

"Just because you can't handle much wine is no reason to pick on everyone else. What was this traveler supposed to have done?"

"Nothing really. The Romans just wanted to put on a show. So they had a silly trial and marched this terrible criminal through the street. Every taunted him and poked at him with sticks. A crowd is an unpredictable animal -- this gave them something predictable to do. They finally let him go, though. Guess it suited the palace and priests as well."

"That is publicity we do not need -- though Judas was saying that a little more visibility might speed up our work. You try to get some sleep -- it's a long walk tomorrow. I'll stay alert and see that Jeshua's praying is not disturbed. It won't be long"

"What, wha…! -- oh it is you, my brother. I didn't hear you approach."

"Could you not have stayed with me for a little while? An hour?"

"I told James that he could sleep -- thought I could say awake -- too much good food and excitement last night. Very special what you did for us. If you wish to pray some more, I will do better. See there, Simon comes to chat and keep me awake."

"Jeshua -- you do not look well -- do not grieve so -- stay and we will pray together. I see a crowd moving about in the shadows. Where is my staff?

"Awake -- arise. Someone is coming."

"Oh Judas, it is only you -- did you bring friends?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home