Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Unexpected Bloom

I am still working on a seedpacket, then unexpectedly an event involving a plant that changed my entire outlook on a dreary, raining New Year's day.

Very unexpectedly, a Christmas Cactus given to me five years ago by my foster daughter bloomed this year. It arrived well after Christmas and the blooms were nearly gone and had not bloomed since. While putting a candle in a candleholder on the back table I noticed something pink. there it was, blooming, my sad looking Christmas cactus after five years of struggling to keep it alive, was blooming.

I could not be happier than with this unexpected gift from the powers that be. for so many years I worked to have it bloom. I was the only one among my in-laws unable to have large full blooms on my Christmas cactus. I was lucky to have it live at all till the following year. Now I have done it, or rather it has done it for me. Is it not beautiful? I know they are a dime a dozen in every Walmart, especially this time of year. This, however is my Christmas Cactus and it is very, very special.

Image Hosted aletta.org

Full of admiration I picked up my camera, and despite the miserable light on such a rainy day, managed to take a few for the record. Life is good.

5 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What an unexpected gift!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Lois and Aletta: I don't know what we do except hang Jim's Christmas cactus (the name I knew it by in Canada where it was a house plant), in a window with dappled shade. It is well over 20 years old and is covered with bloom in the winter here. I did learn to nip off the spent blossoms so that it bloomed for a longer season. Its pot is not large and it has never been repotted, gets a bit of thrive when Jim thinks about it. Good luck with yours, try neglect, Lois. Fran

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

What a lovely Christmas present!

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Amazing story of wonder, a great gift.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Now these cacti are something else Aletta. My mother has some in hanging baskets and they always flourish. I have been looking at my baskets, thinking I need something that is less fragile during the heat of summer. I do declare I think I will get some of these and put the current plants in a shadier spot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home