Thursday, January 05, 2006

Riding on Bikenstein


Me at left, on my beloved Bikenstein, at Fossetts Circus Farm in Billericay in Essex
The morning is clear, the morning is fine,
I’m off for a ride on Bikenstein.
He turned up last night, I don’t know how,
Looking homely as ever, but more loved now

Than when I beheld him that Christmas morning,
Touched by the light of the first day’s dawning,
Big black frame and fairground wheels –
``Get on it,” Dad said, ``and see how it feels.”

So high in the air, I wobbled a lot,
``Take it down the road, give it a shot.”
I pedalled off on my velocipede,
Like Rosinante, a shaking bony steed.

My dreams of something sleek and racy,
Painted pink and considered `acey’
Fell behind as the wheels were turning,
As I clung to the pedals, grimly learning

To keep my bike upright and straight,
I managed a wobbly figure of eight,
And rode back to Dad with a smile on my face –
My pink dreams discarded without a trace.

They say you never forget how to ride,
But I wobbled a lot as I got astride.
But soon it all came rushing back to me,
The feeling of flying, completely free.

I flew through the woods like a winging bird,
Freewheeling, legs outstretched, til the trees were blurred.
I stopped for a while beside a rushing stream,
The kind of place where I used to linger and dream

And saw, in the shade of a broad and stately tree
Small yellow flowers peeking at me.
I lay down and gazed at them with joy and delight –
Primroses in Spring are always a beautiful sight.

I remembered a recipe for Primrose Pie,
Cut from a magazine in the bye and bye,
Which I’d never made – the primmies so sweet,
Were just too pretty to cook and eat.

On I rode on my rattling Rosinante,
My Bikenstein on good looks so scanty,
But with the heart of a lion to go anywhere
If my pedalling feet could take us there.

Now in a toolshed behind Riversleigh Manor,
Bikenstein rests in a genial manner,
Ready for the next freewheeling spree
Before I head off to the Faraway Tree.

3 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Very cool, indeed.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

what a wonderfully liberating ride. I can see you in my mind's eye, riding towards the Enchanted Woods.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Thank you, Lois, what a lovely tribute! My Dad would have loved it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home