Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Father

Dad has moderate dementia, and this might be the last time I will see him where he remebers my name. Yet, special moments bless our time together in spite of 'helicopter sisters'. As I walked with Dad, he said,

“Years ago there were things I wished I could forget – now I have – not too bad.”

As I played a dice game with Dad, he chuckled after complaining that he couldn’t remember the rules,

“At least no one can claim I am cheating!”

After I told Dad a story, he shared,

“I know that once when I heard a good story I could think of another right back – now I think of several, but never have the time to figure out which one is right.”

After I read him a poem I wrote from a couple of years ago, he quipped,

“I’m not sorry I can’t remember that one, ‘cause now I get to hear it again.”

While chatting with the museum curator, he noted,

“I can’t remember just where I found that, but I sure remember the excitement I felt – and thinking how stupid people were not to know what it was.”

After talking to Em on the phone, he whispered,

“I was going to hang up but guess she might want to talk with some more – that I remember.”

As he was settling into bed, he mused,

It’s been so long since we were together I’m not sure how much I can tease you.”

…………………………………………….

These things, Dad – I will remember

5 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Fran said...

How poignant and how important to realize what a delightful man he has been and still is. I know too well how aging memory can and does fail. My mother used to say" The older you get the more you get like you always were." I am happy for you that you have been able to share this time with your dad. Fran

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Treat every moment as a miracle. Methinks that is exactly what you are douing.

Vi

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

It's all important, I think. All the moments.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Believer said...

God bless your father and all of you who love this sweet and gentle man.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Luna said...

Thank you for sharing this with us.

“It’s been so long since we were together I’m not sure how much I can tease you.”

just about broke me in half...Your dad sounds like someone I would like to known. It's rare to really get to know our parents as friends. I think I need to call my mom.

Blessings, Luna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home