Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Magical Morning

I spend time early every morning, sitting in my favorite chair on my patio. This is my time for contemplation and for absorbing some natural vitamin D. That's around sixish at this time of the year, when it is too hot later in the day. This morning was extra special with the actors all on stage. It was a morning filled with special gifts. Sitting there with my face toward the sun and my eyes closed, I came to the realization that what I was hearing was a woodpecker. That’s a first since I have lived in this community. I don't know where he was pecking, unless it was in the Palo Verde down the street.

Moments later though, and with my eyes by now wide open, the star of the show appeared ... a huge raven flew across my field of view. Did you, Heather, have anything to do with this ... was he one of your emissaries? He flew slowly and majestically despite being chased by a couple of smaller birds. His feathers shone in the morning sunlight. Let me tell you, he had all the smaller birds in the neighborhood twittering up a storm and he had me shaking with excitement.

Strange, isn’t it, how some days are extra special? This is one of those days. It’s as if the magic drowns out the misery of the world the way it is these days. If the raven can still fly and the woodpecker can peck, then there is hope—hope for us all.

Vi

4 Comments:

At 3:43 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Lovely moment, Vi. I saw ravens again today at a particular moment that was really poignant. Yes, this does mean all is in order and the right ones are in charge, even if it doesn't look like it. I would love to see a woodpecker, we don't have them here:-)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I love it when you each see a Raven and know that it is one of my emissaries checking on you and saying hello. These moments are so special.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely thought vi,In the summmer I get feelings of pleasure when I see small industrious fantails,they ususally travel and work in pairs.They are attracted by warm sunny days and twitter and sing as they do what makes faintails happy.We will have to wait a while now as it is winter in nz.(agjnseac) Susan Preston

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Is it very cold there, Susan?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home