Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A little paint

Our Manor House , now near a century old,
has a most curious floor plan – by today’s needs.
The entire front of the house is ‘guest friendly’,
and residence would have used the back porch entry.
This gave ready access to kitchen and the staircase
to the three bedrooms, bath and kitchen nook upstairs,
(and a myriad other secret rooms and cozy places).
The main entry has a large covered porch (370 sqft),
in an ‘L” shape that allows a corner door into the ‘parlour’.
This first room sweeps across to the formal dinning side,
together a ‘great area’ 16’ X 30’ with fireplace.
Doors lead into a separate ‘sitting room’ (now a family room),
and the kitchen (16’X16’ with two pantries).

Anyway – I am finally getting around to redoing the front room.
There are many cracks in the ancient ‘lath-plaster’ walls,
and some remnants of water damage on the ceiling.
The windows are fine – fine dark wood frames and original
‘wobble glass’ – so I don’t have to paint those, but care
must be given to protect and seal. There is a wood rail
set all around the room above the windows
that calls for a different color treatment. The added 15”
to the ceiling will remain white, I think; as will the beams
and open spaces of ceiling also cracked here and there.
To hide the patches and irregular texture of repairs,
I have decided to first paint a dark mauve –
then follow with a lighter pale amber using a sponge technique
to replicate wall-paper. I’ve never tired it, though.

The point of this is how I feel – covered with plaster dust,
teetering on ladders – scrapping, sanding, taping …
‘At peace’, that’s what. For this house speaks to me – her name is Tegsh –
and with each stroke and caress she releases some of the love mem’ries
trapped within the walls, and I am taken back to dances, parties –
and laughing children – and a sadness …
that no one else has cared to help her live again.

3 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Luna said...

I am glad to hear you have given the house a little love and you have found the spirit of the house and her name. I felt a distant presence but I thought it was a child. But maybe there are more otherworldly types walking around.

Maybe we should have a house warming for Tegsh soon. We could create a little altar for her in the front room. Do you think she would like that?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Old houses tell the stories
of all who have gone before
a child's toy hidden
a locked door
an attic full of dreams
I am so glad you are able to know your house
and bring back the memories. F.

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

75 years family owned house is my sanctuary, my safe, my peace. I live in my grandparents home. Built with love and little $, they called it home. My grandpa was a carpenter so it has that touch, the touch he gave to my grandmother, the one that says 'i love you'. After thier passing, the house was offered to me and my daughter. Of course we accepted. My litttle one is the 4th generation of women to grow here.
This house has strength and backbone that newer houses can't offer. It may be old and in need of repair, but I have always loved being here. It has character and eclectic warmth from all who have and do live here. It has toys that were my mothers and toys that were my brothers and now toys that are from another. It is a hugh part of who I am, but weren't they all??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home