Tuesday, April 18, 2006

arrival.................

A turn in the road, a gap in the trees and I finally see Riversleigh Manor House. It is just as I have imagined it, a Georgian house, with manicured lawns to the front and side, gardens to walk in filled with flowers of every type and colour and a lake to the rear with rowing boats moored near the house.

I walk up the drive aware that I am decidedly under-dressed for this house and feeling apprehensive and excited at the same time. I am carrying two bags, one has a few clothes in it and the other some volumes of music - there must be a piano here after all! - and a few art supplies including thread and fabric, a book to alter, and a pen and writing paper....

I arrive at the front door of what appears tobe a country hotel and find that there is someone at the door waiting to greet me and and show me to my "space" as she calls my room. I enter my room and gasp with delight. There is a huge desk, a table for art and art supplies in abundance, a sewing machine - and yes, in the corner of this room there is a piano. I say "this room" because there is a door into the next room which contains a double bed, a radio, and a bathroom complete with bath .....the rooms are painted in a calm cream colour, the floors are polished wood and it is warm and comfortable. From somewhere the powers that be have found photos of my children, my late husband, my new partner and have put them on the wall. There are flowers everywhere, huge abundantly filled vases, and the scent fills the rooms. On one wall there is a vast bookcase filled with books I have long wanted to read, books that will encourage, inspire and motivate me. I know I have arrived in my personal version of heaven.

Later I wander downstairs to see who else is living in Riversleigh and I find myself in a loving and caring community. We are all nervous, nervous of the situation, of what will be expected, of each other but especially of our own ability to make the best use of this time that has been gifted. Nevertheless, as we talk to each other, learn about our stories and histories, our fear diminishes and the laughter begins. We have discovered a community of kindred spirits. What greater blessing could possibly exist?

I walk the grounds and down by the lake I look into the water and see the great trees that surround the house reflected in the still water. I step into a rowing boat and spend an hour talking to myself as I row around the lake, talking story, talking healing, talking peace. Then I return to my room, have a long long bath, take one of the books out of the bookcase, put the radio on (bliss.....there is some Bach being played) and climb into my clean white bed to read and then write up my daily journal. And so my first day at Riversleigh draws to a close. Tomorrow there might be a class, a guided meditation, there are walks and excercise classes, art groups and writers workshops scheduled. I might join one of two of them, I might spend the time in retreat....it will be my decision. I stretch out in the white bed and drift into a deep and drealmless sleep.....................




I wish I was at Riversleigh now, in my real life, in my real self. For now though, I am at the Manor House in my mind, the perfect setting, the perfect space, the perfect friends. I hope to spend my time here over the following months, a counterpoint to the real world where I am soon to remarry and where I have, at present, no room of my own where I can be creative, and no friends as I have just relocated and lived amongst strangers.

1 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

'We are all nervous, nervous of the situation, of what will be expected.'

Having joined some art groups recently, having acknowledged that drawing is my second language, I understand how you feel Sara. But just as I have bitten my tongue every time I have been about to make excuses for my art you will overcome any feelings of nervousness and discover that all we expect is that you will be Sara Richards. No more! No less!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home