Monday, March 27, 2006

A Lonely and Secluded Place

Heather asked for us to think about Solitude and what it means to us. Well, I'm not sure what it means to me but I can tell you what it's done to me.

And I like it.

This is from my nightmare journal. Rencently I had this same dream over and over for little over a week. I’m not sure what it means, and as you’ll see I’m not anxious to find out.


amm

A Lonely and Secluded Place


Yesterday I saw my friend Mr Undercroft pass me on the wooden staircase that leads down into my warehouse. He was dressed in his best old fashion funeral clothes and he was wearing one of those tall black hats and his hands were covered with skintight black gloves. He nodded at me and I wondered why he was here, why wasn't he in the warehouse? Or up on the top floor? Why was he here on the stairs?

The I realized he was leaving.

" Where are you going Mr Undercroft?" I asked.

He stopped and tipped his hat, " Why Anita, " he sounded pleased to see me " what are you doing here? "

" I work here Mr Undercroft."

" Fancy that " he said, " I'm on my way to work too."

" Where is that Mr Undercroft? Riversleigh Or Duwamish Bay? Maybe Faraway?"

I named the ficticious places Mr Undercroft occupies.

Mr Undercroft smiled and I felt my chest tighten up as he said, " Good Heavens no Anita, I'm going to work here in Seattle today."

" I don't think that's a good idea. "

" And why is that? " he asked and I could feel more then hear how defensive he sounded.

" Seattle is real Mr Undercroft, you don't belong there. Please Mr Undercroft please stay away from Seattle. "

And the man who represents Death to me, who appears in all of my stories in one form or another whether I want him to or not reached out and took my wrist and said, " Oh but I am real, you know that. "

I tried one more time, " Please stay away from Seattle Mr Undercroft you don't belong there. "

" I can't do that, I won't do that. I'm sorry. Now I have to get to work. You know that Anita. And you know you can't stop me. "

And now I'm waiting down here in this lonely and secluded place for Mr Undercroft to return, and I'm so afraid of what I'll dream when he does.

2 Comments:

At 4:45 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Given what you told me about a crime in Seattle this week this piece has sent shivers up and down my spine. Talking to Undercroft is talking to death. An amazing piece Anita Marie. Just extraordinary.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

A nightmare journal - that's so you, Anita!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home