Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Come Shuck Peas With Me!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

You thought you knew Heather? No! You could never really know Heather. Just when you think you have her pegged she changes again. Believe me! You know only what she has been prepared to reveal, little by little, as she removes the veils that hide her identities.

Just call me Ebony when you come into my kitchen. Take a seat and make yourself at home. There is plenty of coffee in the pot.

I am another alter ego of Heather's, the part that attends the hearth and does the cooking, housekeeping, gardening. Last night the Hermit, Imogen Crest and I had dinner together after a lazy late afternoon walk together. Well, actually, we walked a few steps behind Monika and Heather, who were engrossed in conversations about Cafe Press, their art, unchaining themselves and goodness knows what else. I cooked dinner while they talked on. It was a pretty basic meal but no-one complained.

As we all wandered along the Merri Creek we spied a solitary Cape Barren Goose on the bank and stood mesmerized. The cyclists, who have been watching way too much of the Commonwealth Games whizzed by, all but bowling us over but we just stood, in the late afternoon sun and took in the wonder and wondered what a Cape Barren Goose could be doing in this part of the world. Come out for the games no doubt and decided to find a quieter, more beautiful part of Melbourne.

Come and help me shuck some peas. We are having a hearty beef casserole for dinner tonight, with good old fashioned mash potatos and plenty of fresh peas, picked from the garden. While we shuck some peas perhaps you could tell me about yourself and how you came to be here at Riversleigh and what your room is like.

I am a very good listener. If you drink the fresh water from the tanks here you will be drinking from the same water that runs down the stream of Mnemosyne, purported to restore memory. If a memory comes drifting back do share it with you and I, in turn will share some memories of my own.

5 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Wow! You are everywhere, aren't you? Yes, Ebony, I'll stop by and shuck some peas with you. I'm good, too, at scrubbing potatoes and french-cutting beans.

Vi

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Ohhh, I love kitchens
Can I come and play?
Heeheeheheeeee
Anita Marie

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Loved this portrait of you! Also, love peas, so will spend some time in the kitchen, I think;-)

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All sounds good to me Vi.

Now I have heard all about you Anita Marie. Just watch your step in my kitchen young lady. I will have no messing around adding 'special herbs' from your garden my dear. Though they might all sleep well up there if we added a spice or two.

As for you Imogen my dear. I have a bag full of peas that need shucking. Now no eating those fresh young darlings and no popping more in your mouth than what goes into the bowl.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have come to shuck some garden peas with you the English call it shelling peas,I think it is the same thing,a great activity.I always had to make sure I left enough for dinner as I enjoyed some in the garden before they got to the table. Fancy seeing a goose it is a long way from home.I have been enjoying the Commonwealth Games.I thought the opening ceremony was very clever.I especially liked it when the disabled athletes marched with the others,it should have happened many years ago.It means a lot to me and other disabled people I think to be included because of skill. Good on you Austrailia.A hearty cheer I say at last!
That's all for the moement. I look forward to joining you again in the kitchen soon. susan Preston

 

Post a Comment

<< Home