Saturday, February 18, 2006

A Reflection of Me

I lift the manhole cover and peer inside
And what greets my eyes
Is a reflection of me

How strange, I thought
As I reached down to see
If there was perhaps
A mirror attached

But no
Me was all I could see

What is the message?
What is the lesson?
Why did I feel the need
To lift the manhole cover?

I was walking along
I heard a sound
I walked right past it

But there it was again
A tinkling, a laughing, a murmuring

I stopped this time
Feeling foolish on the pavement

I looked around me
And at that moment everyone seemed
To be looking away

I looked down at my feet
At the sounds beyond another manhole cover
(Could there be two so close together?)

What would people say
If I bent down now?
And took a peek inside?
Has no one else heard it?

My grey skirt suit
Whispered as I crouched
My expensive leather bag
Skimmed the dirty wet ground

My hand reached towards the manhole cover
I needed to see the sounds

I lifted and I looked......

5 Comments:

At 4:23 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

It is so tempting to look within, even if we fear that it will be a black hole on the other side. I do like the sense of tension building here.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Wonder what will come next? I liked reading this, it's full of curiosity.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

It is, as le enchanteur said, so tempting to look inside even if we fear it will be a black hole on the other side. There is always treasure to be found, even in the dark. Keep looking.

Vi

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A reflection of Me"
Inspires me too.
Susan Preston

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Grate Lady said...

This poem makes me want to put a mirror under on of my manhole cover projects and make sure the cover can be opened.
Ah so many ideas, so little time to execute them.
Bobbi Mastrangelo
The Manhole Artist
aka "Cover Girl!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home