Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Drain Cover to the Centre of the Earth


Innocently went out searching for drains and manholes today and
became totally captivated. Didn't expect to, because things don't
always work out as you think they will, so off I went. I found a
great many and started thinking of the journey and everything
that relates to the drain as metaphor. I have also been enmeshed in
listening to Mozart's "Zauberflote" (literally "Magic Flute") because it is
his 250th anniversary this year and everyone is talking about him and playing
his work. When the hero Tamino gets lost in the forest while hunting and passes out,
(down the drain to the underworld) one of the first things that happens to him
when he wakes is that he had no concept of where he is, and says "Wo Bin Ich?"
(Where am I?) -- the million dollar question that starts his quest for his grail
feminine, Pamina. This is also getting me back in touch with German folklore,
part of my heritage. So - Heather, as always, has laid out another unexpected
adventure for us all. I used this theme of disorientation so common
with the call to adventure, and have laid out a collage, the feminine
being Persephone of the Underworld, and the masculine bottom right,
is the masculine sun on a quest through the darkness to the light. Amazingly,
Heather and Megan both sent me boomerang and collage things that
literally made pictures by themselves, I kid you not. The drain looks
fiery now, the one I found, indicating a soujourn to the centre of the
earth and sometimes Persephone looks fiery too, but we all know
she is truly a fair maiden, skilled in the arts of nature; a Queen in her
own right, and is eventually admired for her smarts by the hero. (Swoon!)

copyright Monika Roleff 2006.

6 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Blogger Megan Warren said...

Your collage is wonderful, are you sure you haven't done this before?
Now your grate looks good - why can't I find any like that.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Thanks Megan! Hmm..I think there is something in the waters at Riversleigh more like it. And the materials I received. I will be keen to see your grates -- I never thought this would be so inspiring;-)

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I am totally in awe Monika. What a fabulous post. I agree with Megan that your collage is very professional. It is that artist's eye that we know through your photography.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Thanks for saying that Heather. That artist has been on the backburner, and not by choice, unjustly, and for far too long. A very long time.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

This is gorgeous!

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

This project is an intriguing one. Yes it does lead to other stuff. I appreciate the comments very much;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home