Tuesday, September 12, 2006

" If I Could Go Back"

If I could go back
way, way, way back
To the days of my chilhood
To the times when books were only
to be borrowed from the library
Not many I owned were beside my bed
Not many books were bought
by Mum or Dad
They came from the once a week trip,with parents
and my Brother
walking to the library

At school we had a very small selection.
Back in 1940 our school did not have hundreds
and hundreds of books
Was it because it was a poor school?
Was it like that in all schools?
Was it either of these two reasons?
I know not,it has only just
occured to me as I read
Gwens's story "Song of the Stars"

If I could go back I would
ask and look for such a book
Full of fairytale persons
Full of magic
Full of mystery
Full of wonder and adventure
I would look at the stars as I read her book
I would look at the mountains
I could imagine myself there
I would not need pictures
to show me ...
I would use my imagination

It would be an exciting read
Not like John and Betty books
which I always found wanting
I can't remember what books I brought
home from the library
but,I am sure they were not as wonderful
as Gwen's or I would remember them

Thank you for such a delightful story
in three parts,which I loved ,especially
waiting in anticipation for the next chapter
You may have been in another life Gwen
" A Story Teller extroadanaire"

Lois(Muse of the Sea) 13.9.06.

4 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Gwen M. Myers said...

Lois dear, I have barely begun Song of the Stars. I see it being an entire book when I finish it.

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger faucon of Sakin'el said...

many bemoan the entropy of our youth's education -- blaming TV, video games and all, but it is the loss of both the story telling tadition and of reading books that has led to this, methinks. SOme of this is because we stick grandparents into nursing homes, leaving no one to read to children.

Sing on ladies -- someone will hear, and perhaps instead of writing, I should find a child every day -- and read them a story.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

I was very lucky as a child because my parents always saw to it that I had books to read. They came in the shape of Birthday and Christmas presents, and sometimes as a present for no particular reason.

I consider my books, not as inanimate objects, but as friends to be cared for and appreciated.

Vi

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Susan Preston said...

I like your comment Vi,books are great. I learn and enjoy many things because of them! Susan Preston (agjnseac)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home